Catholic Church of St. Andrew

Address: Vitebsk Region, Lyntupy
View on Map
Get Directions

The village of Lyntupy is located in the border area of Belarus. The first temple was built here in the middle of the 15 century. At the beginning of the 20th century, the local shrine burned down, and the owner of Lyntupy Jozef Bishevsky allocated funds for the erection of a new stone church. The temple was built from 1908 to 1914. It was built of brick in the style of the new Baroque. There are suggestions that the church was consecrated in the name of St. Andrew Bobola, but representatives of the Roman Catholic Church of Belarus believe that the church bears the name of the apostle Andrew. In the church there is an icon "Saint Anna" (from the end of the 18 - beginning of the 19 century). During the Soviet era, the church of the Apostle Andrew was repeatedly closed, but the local residents were able to defend the church.

 

Read More


Church of Saints Simon and Helena (Red Church)

Church of St. Simeon and St. Helen or Red Church - an architectural monument of Gothic with elements of Art Nouveau. Built in 1905-10 years on Independence Square in the modern means of a landowner Edward Voinilovich in memory of his dead children too early. Architects were B. Marconi, G. Poyazdersky.

Holy Martyr Grand Princess Elizabeth Convent

Named after the Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna of Russia (1864-1918), a granddaughter of Queen Victoria who was arrested and thrown down a mineshaft by the Bolsheviks soon after the October Revolution.

Trinity Church in Vidzy

The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Trinity Church) in the village of Vidzy is Belarus’ second largest Roman Catholic church after the church in Budslav.

Comments