Borisov (Barysaw). A Trip Around The City Of Sport And Napoleon

Address: Borisov, Minsk region, Belarus
View on Map
Get Directions

It's a city situated near the Berezina River. It is first mentioned in 1102 by the Polotsk prince Boris Vseslavovich. At the end of the 13th century it became a part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In 1569 it became part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth, and then — part of the Russian Empire.

In 1812, Borisov became a crucial location when Napoleon's troops crossed the Berezina river. The French feinted a crossing at the town itself, but successfully escaped the pursuing armies by building two wooden bridges north of the city, at Studianka. This event is reenacted by military locals during town festivals. A cannon from the Napoleonic era is kept by the town's museum.

Borisov became a major industrial centre, and as of 2002 there are 41 large factories, whose goods are exported to Russia, the CIS, and abroad. Borisov have strong sporting potential. Football team BATE Borisov based in the city. Also, Borisov Arena, an UEFA Category 4 Stadium, located there.

Sights in Borisov:

  • Shukhovskaya Water Tower. Nice and gigantic. The overall experience is one to marvel and thrill.

  • Borisov Arena. Great new European football complex with modern look! It's really great place to watch some professional European Football!

  • Holy Resurrection Cathedral. The cathedral is simple and magnificent at the same time.

  • Monument to Prince Boris. An excellent place to just walk around, take pictures and soak in the history of the place.

  • Brilevo Field. Worth a visit for the history associated to this place — there's a monument in honor of the heroes of the Patriotic War of 1812.

Museums:

  • Borisov State Museum. Excellent museum reflecting entire history of the town as well as the nation in itself (Revolyutsii str., 67). 

  • Kolodeev House-Estate. The house decorated in the style of the era in which the historian and researcher I.Kolodeev lived and worked. Various materials (books, photocopies of paintings, engravings, photographs, souvenirs) presented in the exhibition halls. (30 let VLKSM str., 8).

Read More


Braslav. The ‘Blue Necklace’ of Belarus

The town was first mentioned in 1065 as a castle in the border of the Polatsk Principality with the Lithuanian tribes. In the 14th century, Braslaw was incorporated into the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and, in fact, became an important fortification near the disturbing line with the Livonian Order in the 14 – 15th centuries.

Molodechno. At The Crossroads Of Epochs

The history of Molodechno is an essential part of the Belarusian history. It is proud of the well-known people who contributed to the national and world history and culture. Molodechno was first mentioned in a document on obedience to Grand Duke of Lithuania Yagailo that was signed by Duke of Novgorod-Seversk Dmitry Olgerdovich in the Molodechno castle on December 16, 1388.

Unknown Minsk

Not all Minsk residents know that there is a castle-prison in the heart of the capital, that Minsk has its own Stonehenge and lovely houses in the style of Gaudi.

Comments